Thursday, March 6, 2008

NatCroMo

Apparently March is National Crochet Month. Since I've been planning on learning crochet so that I can take advantage of books like the ones from Kyuuto! I thought I might join in on a CAL (crochet-a-long) for a free-form project where the number of stitches is determined by random number generators unique to each hooker.

So far I have a flower looking thing. I only found out about this today, so I plowed through the first 6 days worth of pattern. Even with having to reference books and About.Crochet it took less than 2 hours to do 6 days worth of the pattern. The plan is for each day of the deal to only take a few minutes of your time. Of course, that's assuming that you don't have to learn how to do each stitch as it comes up.

The thing I'm most excited about is that even if I'm doing it wrong, it'll come out okay. It's not supposed to make anything in particular, and it doesn't have to fit anyone, so I just go with the flow. What really worked for me with learning to knit was just doing the stitches over and over. Once you know how the stitches work, the rest of it kind of starts to fall together. I mean, until you make the stitch correctly it's barely worth figuring out what they look like, because your's won't look like anything much.

Hey, if you're a crocheter and you're interested in the Kyuuto! series you need to click that link up there. Chronicle books is having a sale where you get 25% off AND free shipping. I wish I hadn't just grabbed up the Lacy Crochet and Amigurumi books from Overstock. And just to reassure you, it's true, the books are in English.

No comments: