Monday, May 21, 2007
Thursday, May 17, 2007
Just to update on the air conditioner situation, since I believe we are safely out of the woods. The dude came out this past Monday and made sure the system was all clean, and determined that the air conditioner was freezing up because it was a bit low on Freon. No other maintenance was necessary.
It’s been a few days and our home has stayed wonderfully cool. Hopefully this was a just a routine maintenance need, and we’ll be fine through the summer. I didn’t want to say anything right away, because that’s just asking for Murphy to start F’ing things up, but I think it’s safe to sound the all clear at this point. No one needs to be afraid of coming to my house and suffering from heat stroke.
Sunday, May 13, 2007
I've been brainstorming since the theme was announced to try and figure out what to make. I still have a few ideas that Jeff has not completely vetoed. I'm going to keep those secret for now. For your entertainment I am posting the short list of food with a theme of green that have been shot down.
1. Salisbury Hill (salisbury steak loaf with green army men on top)
2. Lime Jello with Green Beans
3. Soylent Hobo
4. Lime Jello with Frozen Peas
5+ involved more green jello with green veggies and fruit in suspension.
I am glad to say that I have other ideas that suck far less. As soon as Jeff wakes up we're going to have to come to an agreement and get to work with the grocery buying so that it's all good to go by 6.
We are lucky with the air conditioner. It's isn't dead, it's just unhappy, and it's only May. If this problem had waited until July or August to start we'd be dying in here. The air conditioner works until about 4 in the afternoon, and then it just starts to stop. It moves less air, although it seems like if we could pull the air into the house it would still be cold. We end up having to turn off the AC for a bit, sometimes as little as an hour, sometimes a bit longer, but when we turn it back on everything is grand again.
The landlord is having some friend of a friend (who really is an AC guy, not just someone who watches a lot of HGTV or DIY) come by soon. Hopefully he'll come out Monday, but we don't know yet for sure. It seems to be a consensus that perhaps replacing the fan and recharging the freon with make everything right again. Of course the AC guy hasn't actually looked at anything yet, so that may change once he gets here.
Keep your fingers crossed for us that it doesn't get any hotter here before this gets fixed. I also really hope that he's able to fix it the same day that he comes out. It's really annoying to have a house that's perfectly comfortable 90% of the day, and then have to suffer for a few hours in the early evening.
Monday, May 7, 2007
6. I have seen Spider Man 3 and I am ambivalent. I'm not going to say much, because if you're going to see it then you're going to see it no matter what I say, and I don't want to risk ruining it. If you aren't planning on seeing it, then you wouldn't care anyway. My biggest beef was that in one certain scene I had to endure some really bad CG. I thought it was a decent story, and well worth matinee price. So basically if you liked the other movies, suck it up and go watch this one. Then we can have a chat about it.
7. I'm a sucker for a pirate with eyeliner*. The next Pirates movie is coming out in a couple of weeks, and I'm excited. I hope more magazines come out with my flavor of eye candy on the cover. They can even put the hussy in the picture if they have to, as long as she doesn't obscure my view of Captain Jack Sparrow. As you may have guessed I am somewhat emotionally invested in this story, and I think little Miss Elizabeth is a whore who doesn't deserve any of my hotties.
*I'd like to make it known that emo-Spidey just isn't the same, even if he was sporting some eyeliner. The women swooning for him in the movie were some mighty fine actresses, because I thought he should have been shoved into traffic.
I'm not sure that I can think of 7 facts right now, but let's see.
1. I sometimes decide to change what things are called, and Jeff is okay with that. For example: mushrooms are fish. This stems from the fact that they both have gills, and I don’t enjoy eating either of them (with some exceptions). That’s a twofer, since it’s half a fact about me and half about Jeff.
2. I’m not a very good cook. There are a few things that I can make, and I do them well, but chances are if I grab a recipe of the shelf and try to implement it that it will result in failure.
3. I’ve been driving with an expired license since April 25th, and hope to get it renewed after work tomorrow. (Let's keep this one on the down low.)
4. I love sweets. Excluding candy that is covering some sort of critter (bug, worm, etc – which for the record I do not consider to be candy) I like just about all candy. I’m not a fan of salted licorice, and I can’t quite get into ginger candy, but just about any other sweet treat is a-ok in my book. I also like cakes, muffins, cookies (without raisins), puddings, tarts, tortes, and pies. Note: I like sweets, I don’t like sour stuff, with the exception of cherry sours and lemon drops. I want to enjoy my candy, not suffer through it.
5. I’m a really picky eater. The list of vegetables that I will eat is dramatically shorter than the list of veggies that I won’t eat. However, there are many veggies that I will concede make valuable ingredients, but I just eat around them. I like the flavor they impart to the dish as a whole, but not the way they chew up in my mouth.
Um, okay. I'm going to give myself a few more minutes to think on this. I promise to update by the end of the day with two more facts even if I have to make them up.
Wednesday, May 2, 2007
I’m having a shit kind of day. The kind of day when the first email you see is from your supervisor that he sent 10 minutes after you left the day before, and is just illustrates how little he knows about anything. He is really trying my patience, and I think it’s starting to show. So I started off my day pissed off. I got over it though, and I vowed that I was going to make progress on the stuff that’s been piling up in my office. I was going to be productive damn it. Yeah, notice the past tense there.
Now I’ve slid past productive and I’m down in low places. I’m having more doubts about my ability to escape this stupid job. Erin spruced up my resume, and it’s much nicer than before. It’s pretty much the same content, but with a new layout and a bit better wording. I used this resume to apply again to Blizzard. I had applied on 3/30 and heard not a peep, then I applied on 4/30 with the new resume and had a call within 3 hours. It was kind of freaky. Alas, they are cheep asses and only want to pay $9/hr so I’ll not be a GM. *sigh* Oh well, I was pretty sure that’s how that was going to end anyway.
I’ve mentioned in the past that there was a possible internal movement. They finally posted the job opening and I applied, but I haven’t heard anything. So I’m getting all discouraged. I feel blah, and I just don’t care to work anymore. I want to go home, and that’s just about all I can think of. Sorry for the boring blog, but I’m just completely sapped of energy.