Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Obligatory Diet Post

I've been fighting with my weight for a few months now. I was trying to lose weight before, and then decided that I needed get serious about it with the wedding coming up. Since November of last year I'd been trying to be good about what I ate, and I must have done something right, because I stopped gaining weight. Not getting bigger was a good start, but it didn't really help me want to get into a swim suit (I'm guessing I'll want to wear one in Hawaii).

Julie had such success with Weight Watchers that I did a little online digging. I started to analyze what I was eating, as much as I could without having any real access to "official" sources. Finally a couple of weeks ago I broke down and asked Julie if she would help me get started. I'm a big chicken, and I don't like going to meetings and things where I don't know anyone, at least at first. I knew it would be better with a friend.

The first meeting was last Friday (right after that fender bender I mentioned earlier). The leader was strange, and I wasn't really sold on her. I was definitely going to give the program a try though, because what I was doing on my own wasn't cutting it. I had some hard times, especially on the weekend when I typically have a greater access to junk food. I also had some really good days, and Jeff's been working on modifying his recipes so that they're still tasty, but worth fewer points.

We went to another meeting yesterday, and the leader was a lot more fun. I think that I'll like this Wednesday group better, so I'll probably stick with them for a while. The scary part is that according to the weigh-in I've already started to lose weight. That means that in 5 days I managed to do what I haven't been able to accomplish on my own in 3 months. That is encouraging to me, and I hope that I can keep it up. Of course, I also hope that I stop feeling so hungry all the time. I'm a snacker. I don't tend to eat a whole lot at once, but I do spend a lot of time eating here and there. I'm having a hard time figuring out when to eat and what to eat, but supposedly that will get better as I go along.

I'll try not to bore you with mundane day to day details of my weight watcher experience. I'm just kind of proud I guess, and I wanted to share. So if you offer me something delicious and I don't take it, don't be offended. I'm just still in the early stages of this and having a somewhat difficult time. Sometimes it's easier not to have any than it is to have just one piece.

No comments: