Friday, February 15, 2008

A Night at the Movies

When Jeff asked what we should do for Valentine's Day I suggested we see a movie. I know it's sort of cliché, but we don't get out to the movies very often, so it's still a sort of special event. Being the gentleman that he is, Jeff let me pick the movie, so we saw In Bruges.

In Bruges was awesome. I really completely enjoyed the movie. I don't have anything bad to say about it, and that's rare. I will warn you, the movie centers around the lives of two hit men…. That means that there is violence, and things are said and done that might offend your delicate sensibilities. I didn't find anything offensive in it, but that's me. The movie was touching, and funny, and sad, and I don't know. There is just such a sweet story buried in this strange circumstance. I honestly would like to recommend this movie to everyone, because I believe it is that fantastic. The only thing that holds me back is the subject matter, and the graphic-ness, because I know that would be a big turn off to some people. I don't want to put down any details that might be spoilers for people that want to watch it, but if you want some specifics before deciding whether you want to watch it I'd be happy to email you any details that you want. (Or I'm sure you can find them at some other review type site.)

After the movie we grabbed some Outback Steakhouse to go. I loves lamb. We also picked up some wine, and took it all back to our home.

We settled into the couch and popped in Eastern Promises. I really thought that I would like this movie. I'd seen lots of trailers, and I thought I wanted to see it. I don't know if it just couldn't compete with In Bruges, or if it was just the lack of story arch that made it a disappointment. I mean, the acting was top notch, and the story was compelling, but at the end it just stops. It really felt like there should have been a fade to new scene, but instead the credits came up. It wasn't satisfying as a movie to me, but still not bad. (Also violent, in case you weren't aware, it does center around the Russian mafia, so lots of blood and general nastiness.) (Oh and a nekid Viggo with his junk flopping around as he tries not to get killed in a sauna… just you know, in case you care.)

So all in all it was a pretty nice night. It might not have been a pink and red candy Valentine's, but then again neither are we.

No comments: