Friday, July 6, 2007

Vacation Posting - Entry #1

So, I've been trying to keep some notes from day to day in order to blog about our trip later, and some days have been more eventful or more documented than others. We're currently hanging out at Estes Perks and I'm feeding squirrels Chex Mix while Jeff and his dad (Dan) bird watch.

Day 0 - Jeff left Thursday morning with his mom (Jean) to drive to Colorado, while I was due to fly out of Houston Saturday afternoon. I was supposed to be all packed up and ready to go on Thursday night, but as Erin can attest I was just too pooped to pop. I went to bed early and spent Friday morning trying to pack up before work. On the way to work I realized that I hadn't packed any pajamas and started a mental list of things that had to be done before I left for Houston: put out food and water for cats, clean litter boxes, pack pjs, check mail, etc. I ended up not leaving Austin until 6pm, and had a pretty uneventful drive to Houston. It rained a little, but not for more than a few minutes at a time. I had to drive in 30 minutes of night time, and it was not great, but not too bad, you know? It was more annoying than anything. I spent the evening with my dad and Iza, we had spaghetti for dinner (by my request). Iza made me some of her delicious garlic bread, and I crept off to bed around 10:30 or so.

Day 1 - I was up at 6:30 am, partly from not feeling well, and partly just out of habit. I had a headache so I took some advil, and drank some water then laid back down for another 30 minutes. I heard Iza making coffee, so I got up and we just hung out drinking coffee, and waiting for my dad to get up. She made me a giant breakfast with eggs, toast, bacon, sausage, and orange juice... all for me. It was way too much food, and I let Muttly have a bit of it.
We watched the Bewitched movie with Will Farrell and Nicole Kidman. I was surprised, because it was a lot better than I thought it would be. Since my dad read that I needed to be at the airport 90 min ahead of time we left their apartment 2 hours before my flight. Within 40 minutes we were at the airport, my bag was checked, and I had a boarding pass. Oops, we had just a little bit of time to kill. The three of us had a beer together and then they left me to my fate.
At the security check point I put all my stuff into a plastic tote, including my shoes. It was weird to be standing around in socky feet, but at least I wasn't bare foot like some of the poor souls there.
I'd like to take the time to comment that every single person working at the Houston Airport that day was a grumpy bear to the max. The only two exceptions were the man who checked my bag, and was really cool and funny, and the woman who was handing out ziplocs to the people in the security line that didn't have their own. Even the flight attendants were bitches. Anyway, that's not the worst part of my flight.
My flight was supposed to be leaving at 2:11pm. At 2:45 they told us that the plane would hopefully be landing in Houston at 2:52, which was untrue. The plane did finally show up just after 3, and around 3:30 we finally boarded the plane. We didn't take off until 4 though, so I was a bit late to land in CO. I did keep updating Jeff with text messages as much as I could, including the last minute "we're all on board" right before they told us all to turn off our cell phones.
We landed in Denver at 4:55, mind the gap with that time change. I took two moving sidewalks, two escalators, a train, and another escalator to get to my luggage and my sweetie pie.
The drive up was pretty and boring all at the same time. I tried to fill up all the spaces with talking and started to cough a lot by the time we got to the cabin. The cabin that we stayed in is actually inside the Rocky Mountain National Park. The cabin is part of the Cascade Cottages. It's got electricity and running water with indoor shower and toilet, so it's like camping but less sucky.
Even though I was feeling bad the slave drivers made me work to unload the truck and start getting everything put away. By the time we were done I collapsed on the bed and had Jeff take the first picture of our vacation. I look so pathetic!

Guess what we had for dinner? Spaghetti again! Oh, and we called out cabin the Slanty Shanty because it is not at all level. It is almost like living in the U-Haul we unloaded for Ian at his new place, but not quite that bad. I had a lot fun that night rolling things down the hill of the floor.

Okay, that's it for now. Hope you're all doing well.

No comments: