Monday, July 9, 2007

Vacation Post #2

July 1st: Goddamn it gets cold up here at night. We opened a window last night, because it was stuffy, but at 5am I was frozen. I got up, put on wool socks, closed the window, and added another blanket to the bed.

It's only 6:30 am and I've been up for an hour. I'm trying to avoid making coffee since Dan is out walking, and Jeff and Jean are still sleeping. I'm sure they'll start waking up if I make coffee so I'm trying to let them get some sleep. My unofficial rule is no coffee until Dan gets back or someone else wakes up. For now I'm just knitting on a new hat.
When everyone gets up we have blueberry pancakes, sausage, cantaloupe, pineapple, and clementines for breakfast. Jeff even had them get my favorite orange juice.

At 9:30 we headed to town to do some shopping in the tourist traps, and we visit the Scandinavian Summer Festival. I took a lot of photos of the various stuff for sale there. It really cracked me up seeing wool sweaters for sale in 90+ degree weather. Half the shoppers were dressed in shorts and tank tops. Still it was fun to look around. I narrowly avoided purchasing a $45 kit to knit wool mittens. Luckily the woman didn't accept credit cards, and I had no other payment method on me. After a few minutes of thinking about it I remembered that I don't even like to wear mittens, even if they were really cool looking mittens. Really the only thing that I didn't enjoy was when a church sermon was broadcast over the PA. It was Sunday morning and all, but it was a "festival" to celebrate the Summer Solstice.

We tried to find Jeff a hat, but we had no luck. I bought a great floppy hat for $10 and let Jeff wear my old hat. I think he's cute in it, but we'll keep looking to find him one of his own on another day. We did buy a bandanna for Muttly, and a froggy carabeaner for Iza. While Jeff and Jean picked out a pie, I grabbed some bubble tea from a sushi place, and then we headed to a yarn store. This place was supposed to open at 12 (we found out when we first saw it at 11:30) but even after 12 there wasn't anyone there. We waited for a few minutes, and then we took off.
I grabbed some flip flops for Jean and myself at Ace Hardware while Jeff and Dan procured fishing licenses for us all. I swear the flip flops are one of the only bargains that you can find in Estes Park, $2.50 a pair. They aren't as cute as last year, but it keeps your feet from getting filthy or picking up splinters from inside the cabin.

Back at the cabin I unraveled some of Jeff's sock for the 2nd time. His knitting is getting better and more consistent, but it's also becoming looser. It's not too loose, but it no longer strangles the needles, and that means that the stitches take up more space and that the sock is now too big. While Jeff worked on re-knitting his sock he discovered that one of the squirrels outside the cabin is a cherry thief. Chip, as we call him, will just run up to the bowl, grab a cherry or two and run off again.

Jean went bonzo because we saw big horn sheep. It seems like they are her favorite animal here at the park. She'd rather see a ram, but the ewes will have to do because there are no males in this group. Every time we pass a certain bend in the road she hollers for Dan to slow down, in case there might be sheeps. These sheep are in a different spot and are really far away. I take a few pictures, but unless you soon way in they look more like rocks than critters. We were able to see them pretty well, because a stranger let us peek through his telescope.
We had raw hamburgers for dinner. Okay, they weren't completely raw, but they were really really undercooked. Luckily there was a triple berry pie for dessert. The advantage of an undercooked meal is that it leaves me plenty of room to eat dessert.

I finished knitting my hat, and realized that I will probably never wear it this trip. It just isn't cold enough to warrant a wool hat; I also concluded that my hat needs a pom-pom on top. I shall get assistance from Jean since she seems to know all about pom-poms and I've never made on.

I can't believe that I almost didn't tell you about the merman that we saw on display at the Christmas ornament store. I mean goodness! How could I leave that out?!? Isn't he handsome?
LOL

No comments: