Monday, March 2, 2009

Singin' Drunken Lullabies

Jeff and I went to see Flogging Molly at Stubbs this past Saturday. All week we had gorgeous weather, and then all of a sudden, out of no where, it's freakin' cold and really windy. I was a little intimidated by the prospect of standing up for a full show, being in a crowd, and dealing with restroom lines. I'm only 23 weeks now, but I take up a bit more space that I used to, get worn out faster, so while I really wanted to see them, I didn't really want to go. I'm glad that we had tickets in advance and I felt like I had to go, because it was a great show. Erin and Bill went also, and we managed to catch up with them and hang out a little bit. The songs sounded great live, and the atmosphere was mostly a lot of fun, although a little foreign to me. It could have only been better by having less wind and if the temperature had been about 15 degrees warmer.

There was definitely a different crowd there than what I'm used to though. Most of the folks hanging back near us were of the chiller variety that I'm familiar with. We sing, we might dance a bit, but beers stay in cups and cups stay in hands for the most part, and usually the person who pushed past you said "excuse me" even if they didn't mean it. Up front was a crowd of a different sort. The mosh pit people, or MPP, were insane. I saw half full cups of beer sailing over their heads, not just once or twice but frequently throughout the show. From this I conclude that the MPP are rich or were spending mommy and daddy's money, because even Lone Star was $3.50 at the show. The MPP were also fond of picking up one of their own, surfing them over head for a bit, and then tossing them forward and over some barricade where they would disappear from view. I suspect this behavior is directly related to some of the folks I saw being treated for head injuries. We saw EMS escorting various people out due to injury or from getting too f'd up to remain in public. One poor girl looked like a zombie as she was being walked out, and she didn't even get to see Flogging Molly take the stage. The people watching was pretty fantastic all told.

After the show we walked a little further up the street to see Ian and wish him a happy birthday. I know that my feet were tired, and I was very cold, but I have to say that the chair I sat in at Club de Ville was wonderful. It is easily one of the best seats I've ever had at a club, and I really enjoyed the rest before walking back to the car.

No comments: