Sunday, April 6, 2008

3 Socks Done

Sock Madness Round 2 began sometime during the day on Monday, March 31st. I did not have my yarn and needles at work, because I am not a boy scout. I can't remember if they girl scouts claim to always be prepared or not, but I'm not one of them either. I started round 2 at 6pm Monday evening after getting home. This pattern was much more difficult to execute than the first round, and I made a poor yarn choice. I used a yarn (Noro Kureyon Sock) that is really sticky to itself, so it doesn't slide smoothly and easily. It eats up valuable time that you could be knitting as you try to untangle it. And to try and get a smaller sock I used 2mm needles, which are really hard on my hands. I prefer to knit the Noro on 2.5mm. Crazy how a half millimeter makes such a huge difference in comfort.Still I managed to finish Friday morning at 2am. They were only taking the top 20 from each division this time, and I was worried that if I didn't push through that I might miss it. I'm such a silly paranoid knitter. I ended up being #13 from the Baylor Ball Band division. I liked that. I have a 13 on my office wall, just below my name plate. Everyone always asks why, even the people that have already asked before, and there really is no good reason. This guy at The Company took random number things that were no longer needed from the factory floor and assigned them to random offices, in no particular order. When I changed jobs and moved offices I took the 13 with me. I suppose that sort of non-reason just doesn't stick in peoples' minds. Still I like being #13. Of course if they only take 10 in the next round then I suppose I would regret it if I still came in at 13.The pattern is called Reversai, and was created by Janine Le Cras and is reversible. Because of the stitch pattern used you can put the sock on right side or inside out and it looks exactly the same. Isn't that clever? As you may have noticed from the photos these socks are a bit baggy for me. So they've gone to live with another knitter. Erin has the same sort of falling down love for Noro that I do, so I had her try them on last night, and when they fit, I asked her to keep them.

And if you're curious about the outcome of the creative award, we won! I will be getting some sort of prize, but I don't know what yet. I got an email that one of the vendors that donated prizes for the competition will be mailing something directly to my house. I'll post pics as soon as I get whatever it is. How exciting! I would like to thank my friends, family, and of course my publicist for this award. I couldn't have done without you.

I've also finished one sock from the March shipment for the Socks that Rock club. This time we got green yarn, and the pattern is called Leafling. I had a lot of fun with this one. From all the sizing discussions, and from my own math on the matter I knew that if I knit the small that came with the pattern it wasn't going to fit me. The sock would have ended up a whole inch bigger around than my foot. As I went about tweaking some numbers and trying to make sure that I wasn't going to run into trouble when going into the heel shaping, I documented my modifications on my Ravelry project page. I've received a lot of positive feed back, and that makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.So now I'm off to the wonderful world of chores. I'm trying to get the house in order, and keep it from turning into a train wreck. It would be really easy to let everything slide between now and the wedding, but I know we'll have company over. This may be the first time that some of them have ever been to my home, and I don't want them to be scared off. So more vacuuming and laundry, and a trip to Goodwill to drop off another box of clutter. See you around.

1 comment:

pacalaga said...

Beautiful Reversais, of course, and LOVELY green sock! I usually don't sign up for the sock clubs, but I sure wish I had that pattern! I hope they offer it for sale later.