Friday, January 11, 2008

Another Book Review

I just finished reading The Phantom Tollbooth yesterday, or rather I should say re-reading it. The first time that I read The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster was in the 5th grade. I remember because it was just after we had moved from Richmond, TX to Carrollton, TX. (I also only spent a couple of years at the school where I read it, so that helps to narrow it down.)

I remembered this book with fondness for how many years? How old are you in the 5th grade? 9 or 10? and I'm 30 now? I had worries that this book would not hold up to my expectations. How is it possible that a book that I thought was good 20 years ago would still hold any fascination for me now? Still, I had to give it a go, and lucky me, it was grabbed off my wishlist and gifted to me.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. All of the word play that fascinated me back then still tickled me today. The island of Conclusions that you get to by jumping, or the Doldrums where you aren't allowed to think or do anything at all, and a whole kingdom thrown into chaos when the princesses Rhyme and Reason are banished.

Maybe it's not a serious classic, but I think it's wonderful that it not only withstood the time between when I read it first, and today, but that it's lasted since the first publishing date in 1961. This is definitely going some place safe within my library so that I can re-read it again from time to time. If you haven't read it, then I think you should.

Now I believe that it's time to work on some knitting. I have spent the last few weeks reading and playing video games, and that makes knitting progress slow. So tonight is knitting night. ... Well until I go out to see The Unbearables at Trophys. I'll not be taking my sweater project into Trophys, no sir. Hmm... but maybe some mindless sock knitting that I don't need to be able to see? Time to go diving in the yarn box for some sock yarn!

No comments: