Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Not It

I found a new problem with me cooking dinner last night. It started when we got home much later than usual. Since normally Jeff cooks, I can just plop on the couch or in front of the computer on nights like that and wait for food to magically appear. I don't think I even started working on dinner until 7 last night, and after a few minutes I felt like it was going slower and slower and my stomach was starting to hurt and I got kind of bitchy. I ended up having Jeff cook the steak while I finished chopping the rest of my ingredients, so I still haven't really cooked meat yet, but it was either that or I was just going to give up.

I'm glad I didn't give up because the Mexican Chopped Salad was pretty good. I added an extra clove of garlic to the dressing, and the flavor was good, but there was way too much liquid. I think next time I'll try halving the liquid ingredients and keeping the garlic and jalapeno the same. The next time I make it I will also do something different with the red bell pepper. Jeff seems to like them in strips, so maybe I'll try that. I really don't like raw bell pepper at all, and it kept sneaking into my mouth along with the tomatoes because I couldn't tell them apart. By the time we finished off the salad I had a little hill of red squares left behind on my plate. We cut the steak into thin bite sized pieces, because I didn't want to need a nice for my salad, and the flavor worked really well with the rest of the salad. Without the steak it would have been tasty, but I don't think it would have been as satisfying. I can't just have a salad for dinner, lunch sure, but for dinner I need something more substantial.

Tonight is Jeff's turn to cook. I called "Not It" this morning. I have too many other things to take care of tonight, so cooking is not on the list. Still it's been fun. Of course now I want to create a cook book version of my knitting binder, so I can keep track of recipes I try and what I do differently. I can get plastic sleeves to put the recipes in to keep them from getting yucky while cooking, and then dividers to break them up into categories like type of meal, or main ingredient... (hmm.... maybe that's a little too much for someone that only has about 5 recipes to put away)

Free Cooking Tip:
I learned last night that you don't need 8 limes to get 1/4 cup of lime juice. My limes took about 1 and a half to get there. I now have 6 more limes. Margarita time anyone?

1 comment:

Julie said...

I admire your resolve to learn cooking, but I will not be following in your footsteps anytime soon! Although I find it interesting that you seem to be concentrating on salads, one of my few specialties. I like dishes where I can make it up on my own and just keep adding stuff to make it taste good. Salads, omelets, pancakes, etc. are the few things I "cook". Luckily I'm told I do them very well. I have had multiple people tell me that I make the best tuna salad sandwich they'd ever had!