Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Just One More

I am fixated. I'm not sure what the cause is. My brain is stuck on knitting. I'm supposed to be here working. I really do have things that I should be doing. I am taking off Friday so that we can head over to Dallas for the weekend, and catch the kiddos before they head off to their dad's at 6. I basically have a deadline of Thursday 4pm to get anything done that I want to get done this week, and I'm not doing it. I mean you see me here blogging for you, which unfortunately I do not get paid to do. I've checked on a few issues and made sure nothing is falling apart, but that's really all that I've managed.

I want to create knitting designs. Maybe it was inevitable that I would want to write real true patterns. I've always been willing to heavily modify a pattern to fit my vision, and that doesn't seem very far from creation. Some of my very first patterns involved having to change stitch counts, pattern repeats, or adding/subtracting embellishments (like the pattern for a "bunny" hat that I knit as a monkey and as a frog, but never as a bunny). I brainstorm best while actually knitting, so that's what I want to be doing. I have my club sock in my bag, and it's coming along quite nicely, but I try not to spend too much time knitting at work. I want to be knitting, scribbling notes/pictures and mostly just not being here pretending like I'm working, but that's not going to pay the bills.

Part of my problem is that I'm not sure where to start. What concept do I have in my head that doesn't already exist? I have a few ideas in my head, but I fear accidentally recreating a pattern that's already out there. For example, I had intended to write a sock pattern. I've had the concept in my head for a while, and had planned on that being my first all mine pattern. Well, the Zombie sock is almost exactly what I had in mind so that idea is scrapped. On the bright side I have a great sock pattern without having to figure it all out myself. Ideas I have are purses/bags of various sizes, socks (of course), perhaps more socks for men since those patterns can be more difficult to come by, hats because hats are fun, I even have some funky yarn bought specifically for creating an original scarf pattern. I think my goal is going to be to create at least one pattern this summer. That shouldn't be unrealistic.

Meanwhile I need to focus back on my work, and try to stop being a space cadet staring off into space. I have all weekend to think about yarn and knitting, so until then ... well maybe I'll just knit a couple of rounds to take the edge off. Then I'll get right back to work, promise.

No comments: