Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Look Ma I Posted

I feel awful for my lack of updates. I just haven't been able to stop and type the postings.

I really wish I could have blogged my honeymoon. We saw and did so much in such a short time, and it was sooo beautiful. You would have loved it, and I hope that you go some day. However, only having WiFi when eating breakfast put a crimp in my blogging plans. I suppose it's for the best. We only had one laptop and I probably would have gotten on Jeff's nerves if I spent an hour each evening blogging while he sat there watching. Still, it's been hard to come back to "real life" and get back into the swing of the blog.

I've been playing video games and knitting and trying to pretend that I'm happy to be back. I miss Hawaii. I really think that I could have stayed and been happy. Well, except that I would have missed all of you and that would have eventually drawn me back to Texas. I don't think I could be really happy long term too far from my family. I like to be able to visit several times a year, and long expensive plane rides would put a crimp in that style. Maybe when we're rich (we talk about this time a lot, Jeff and I, not if ... when we are rich) I can move to Hawaii, because when I'm rich I'll be able to fly first class and go back and forth once or twice a month. But I think I'll fly my family to Hawaii for Christmas, because I don't like the cold, and it gets way too cold in Dallas.

I did some crazy sock knitting on the way to Hawaii, but it fell flat. I couldn't get into it. It didn't help that I started off sick, and that there were so many other things I wanted to do that conflicted with knitting, but I also just don't think I want to knit it. I don't know if it's my choice of yarn, needles, or what, but I'm not enjoying it. I've almost knit one sock, and I think I'm going to rip it out. I wanted to press on through and knit the pair because the pattern is beautiful, and I was looking forward to dying them later, but I don't think that's going to happen. I was thinking about mortality and knitting the other day, as I do, and once again found myself thinking about the multitudes of projects that I want to do, and how I am limited by the amount of time that I can dedicate to knitting, and the time I have left in life. There is no way that I can ever do it all, unless robot bodies become a reality in my lifetime. When I thought about the sock again I decided that if there's no way that I can possibly knit all the projects that I want to knit in my life, then there is no good reason to knit one that I don't like. I should be having fun.

There are certain things that you have to do if you want to be a healthy person (bathe, brush your teeth, eat, sleep, etc) and there are things that help you achieve comfortable living quarters and tasty foods (like work) and then there are other bits of your time that are just for you, the times that you can watch television, play video games, surf the net, talk on the phone, knit, read, bike, hike, fly kites, hang out with friends, or family, or the one you love, whatever it is that brings you joy. When you're just having you time, don't waste it on stuff that's meh, that's what I say.

Well, at least the sock got to see a volcano before it died. :)


No comments: